Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter TV, Part 6: It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown

Premiering on CBS in April 1974 - this popular Peanuts holiday special, like all in the series, features several subplots: Peppermint Patty tries to teach Marcie how to decorate eggs; Snoopy dances with the popular and adorable Bunny-Wunnies,Yes, the Bunny-Wunnies; Woodstock gets a new birdhouse; Lucy decides to throw her own egg hunt; and Linus, not defeated by the disappointment of the Great Pumpkin - tells Sally she doesn't need to color eggs because the Easter Beagle will bring them.
IT'S THE EASTER BEAGLE, CHARLIE BROWN moved to ABC in 2000,
where it has aired more or less every year, including tonight (Tuesday April 7). I believe it's padded with newer, inferior material to fill an hour timeslot.

2 comments:

Danny in WeHo said...

Do you remember the "EASTER IS..." and other "_______ IS..." animated shows. I seem to remember they were not so thinly veiled Christian cartoons that told the Jesus side of stuff.
I don't know about you, but I prefer my Jesus side of stuff to be told to me by anthropomorphic vegetables!

Doug said...

Yes - I thought of including those Benji & Waldo Lutheran church cartoons, but there's very little information about them out there.

I loved them as a kid - I even had a "Jesus as a Hippie" poster that I sent away for after watching the Easter show.